Wednesday, 5 June 2013

My first driving experience at CDC

UPDATED on 15 Jan - I passed my driving test (Read here for my experience and some tips that I have learnt so far) http://mons-diary.blogspot.sg/2014/01/my-driving-test-experience-at-cdc-and.html


I am really excited and nervous for this day - My first driving lesson at Ubi ComfortDelGro Driving Centre (CDC). I do dream of driving at times and that's kinda random. But now that I finally have the chance to drive in a real car, it's really fun and exciting! 

Just so you know, I chose to learn manual driving lessons! Take it as a challenge to myself and also to learn an extra skill. Have heard from many others that the difficulty about manual driving is the clutch. And boyf told me that I might have leg cramps because I have to hang onto the clutch half way.

Anyway, at the start, I had trouble finding out how to get to my driving instructor. So for those who don't know how, there's this computer just outside the customer service centre where you can check your name on the list and find the car number. After that, just proceed to the area with the car number range. Mine was 189. 

So what did I learn on the first lesson?

Some basics about the Speedometer and Tachometer, how to adjust my sit properly, clutch, changing of gear, accelerating, braking and steering the wheel. 

I think the hardest part is to:
Depress your clutch --> Change to gear 1 --> Still pressing your clutch --> Accelerate a tinyyyyy little bittttt --> Release your clutch slowly and hold it half way --> After the wheel is stable, release clutch totally --> Drive smoothly

But I think I can still handle it properly because the instructor was quite happy with my performance :D The easiest mistake is to stall the engine accidentally. But the instructor said that I was fine and asked me to overtake the slower cars at the front. Hahaha. Fun experience even though it's just driving round and round the circuit. I would say that based on my FIRST lesson, it is not as hard as I expected. But of course I'm not going to conclude that it will be easy for the rest :P Can't wait for my next lesson this coming Friday! 

28 comments:

  1. How u locate ur car on ur first day, may I ask? I'm a reader of ur blog and gonna have my first practical lesson soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you can sign in to your CDC account & scroll to the bottom of the homepage. Or go to the computer screen somewhere near the Cust service area & look for your name :)

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Thank u so much! Erm, sorry I am asking too many questions but have u passed ur FTT yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! (:

      Yes I passed it already. I still have a few more lessons to go before my practical test about end of this month.

      Delete
  3. Oh that is fast! I wish u luck for ur practical test! :) Will wait to hear good news from u soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry sorry I forgot to ask u another question!! What did u bring for first lesson and where did u place ur bag/belongings at? xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Np (:

      Just remember to bring your Blue booklet & PDL (Provisional Driving license) that you registered after your BTT. I just place my bag at the back of the car (:

      Delete
  5. The post you written is very good and it entails many useful information for me about driving. I am happy to find your great way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Katy Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you found this useful for yourself! (:

      Delete
  6. Thank you for posting this great blog. I really enjoyed reading this blog. Keep it up.
    Driving Lesson Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi were u a school student or private?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm a school student at Ubi CDC (:

      Delete
  8. I am a school student at CDC and have opted for One Team where I got 2 fixed instructors to teach me. But past few lessons I have not been comfortable with 1 of the instructor. He is very discouraging and always tempt to pick mistakes all the time which makes me very stressful while driving and I am not able to concentrate. When I told him this he is not happy.

    Do you have any idea whether we can opt to change the instructor and request for another one?

    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't book any lessons in advance with that particular instructor, you can always change him out, just select your booking date with another random instructor if you are not sure who to pick yet.

      If not, you can speak to the staff at the counter and explain your situation, I think they will be willing to help you (:

      Delete
    2. Thank you dear for your prompt reply. I can't select instructor on my own as I am paying extra $$ for fixed instructors (which is called as One Team). I have been given 2 fixed instructors to teach me.....either one whoever on duty will be teaching me on the days I select for my driving.

      I guess I need to speak to the staff and raise this issue coz if not I don't think I would be able to pass soon with this instructor along.

      Delete
    3. I see.. For my case, I started with random instructors and I feel that one of them is good, so I gave the instructor's name to the staff to input his name into the booking system. Whenever I book for a slot, I can select the dates under his name or choose a random instructor.

      Delete
    4. Oh I didn't know that :(. I thought with random instructors it might be difficult so I opted to pay extra & get just 2 fixed instructors.

      Anyways thanks for all your help. I will call the school shortly to check. Hopefully they are co-operative to help

      Delete
    5. Hi Ms/Mr Anonymous,
      Not sure if you would reply to me but may I know in the end what did you do and did you get to change to another instructor or something? Cause I met the same problem as well :/

      Delete
  9. I see. I'm starting my driving lessons in Blacktown and I hope it will turned out good. Fingers crossed. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I just changed from oneteam to common pool so i dont have the car number printed on my booking receipt like last time. Haha your blog is the only link in google which talks about this :) where exactly is the "computer just outside the customer service centre where you can check your name on the list and find the car number" ? i know there is a notice board between the service centre & motorbike area (near the back exit of the service centre). is it there? or is it the small one on the right of the main entrance to the service centre?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I can only remember that it's some screen outside the customer service centre. Which is also quite near the toilets. But I'm not sure if there are any changes now since it has been almost 2 years.

      Delete
  11. hi, is there any yextra cost if you ask the staff to put in a instructor name into the booking system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The staff did it for me, the additional cost of a specific instructor is about $10 per lesson (Unless they have changed it).

      Delete
  12. Hi there! May i know how to get to Ubi driving centre from Eunos mrt?

    ReplyDelete